101 Irrawaddy Road, #20-13
Royal Square Medical Centre, Singapore 329565
Tel: +65 6957 4020
Fax: +65 6957 4019
Total Knee Replacement (TKR)
Total knee replacement is a surgical procedure to replace the weight-bearing surfaces of the knee joint to relieve pain and disability. It is most commonly performed for osteoarthritis, and also for other knee diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis.
Physiotherapy rehabilitation starts immediately after TKR. Rehab duration is about 6 to 12 months depending on individual condition.
The goals of physiotherapy after TKR is to:
1) Relief pain and reduce swelling of the knee
2) Reduce joint and muscle stiffness
3) Improve range and flexibility of the knee joint
3) Strengthen weak muscles of the knee and hip
4) Gait training with or without walking aids
5) Balance training to prevent falls
6) Stairs training
Physiotherapy treatment is customised to the individual's needs to be able to live independently, walk pain-free and to achieve the client's goals.